Agents are lightweight applications that can be deployed to virtually any operating system including Windows, Linux, IBM i and other platforms. These Agents can run on systems inside an organization’s network to move files throughout the data center. Agents can also be deployed to remote sites like branch offices, cloud networks, and other remote locations. When an Agent starts, it will connect to GoAnywhere MFT which takes over management of the Agent.
Before Agents can connect to GoAnywhere, the Agent Service must be running.
Configuring and Registering Agents
Agents must be registered in GoAnywhere before they can begin to do work on the system where they are installed. Agents can be configured individually or by group.
Registering Agents that Belong to Groups
Use the following instructions to configure and register Agents that belong in an Agent Group:
- 1. Login to GoAnywhere as an Admin User with the Agent Manager and Product Administrator
2. Define an Agent Group.
3. Within the Agent Group Console, define the Resources, Projects, Schedules, and Monitors that
will be used by all Agents in the Group.
4. Define an Agent Template that will be used by each Agent in the Group. The Template will
contain the licensed feature set, Admin User Permissions, and Agent Groups the Agent can be a
5. Define Registration Rules on the Agent Service. Registration Rules contain the Registration
Code, Agent Template, and name prefix for the Agent.
6. Create an Agent installer from the Software Library. The installer defines the Agent Name,
Registration Code, connection properties, permissions, and the Agent certificate.
7. Install the Agent software and launch the Agent. For more information for installing an Agent,
see the GoAnywhere MFT Agent Install Guide.
8. The Agent will attempt to connect to GoAnywhere using the certificate and registration code.
The code will be used to identify the correct Registration Rule, apply the Agent Template, and
apply the admin permissions. If “Require Approval” was enabled in the registration rules, an Admin
User will need to approve the Agent.
9. The registered Agent will appear as ‘Online’ in the Agent Manager.
Use the following instructions to configure and register a single Agent:
- 1. Login to GoAnywhere as an Admin User with the Agent Manager and Product Administrator roles.
2. Create an Agent profile in the Agent Manager. During Agent configuration, note the registration code that you specified on the Agent.
3. Select the Agent to open the Agent Console. Define the Resources, Projects, Schedules, and Monitors used by this Agent.
4. Create an Agent installer from the Software Library. Specify the Registration Code, Connection properties, and folder and project permissions. The Agent certificate will automatically be included in the installer package.
5. Install the Agent software and launch the Agent. For more information for installing an Agent, see the GoAnywhere MFT Agent Install Guide.
6. The Agent will attempt to connect to GoAnywhere using the certificate and registration code. The code will find the Agent profile and automatically register. The Agent will appear ‘Online" in the Agent Manager.
Agents are registered to the operating system they are installed on. Admin Users can unregister an Agent, install the Agent software on another server, and then register the new Agent installation to an existing profile in the Agent Manager.
The server where the Agent is installed is scheduled to be replaced. An Admin User unregisters the Agent from the Agent Manager. The Agent is installed on the replacement server; using the Agent registration code. The new Agent connects to GoAnywhere with the registration code, and the Agent is registered. The Agent configuration (Projects, Monitors, Schedules) will begin running on the new Agent.
Use the following instructions to unregister an Agent:
- 1. Login to GoAnywhere as an Admin User with the Agent Manager role.
2. From the main menu, select Services > Agents > Agent Manager.
3. Identify the Agent to unregister, select the Actions icon Actions icon and then choose Unregister icon Unregister.
4. A confirmation window appears. Click Confirm.
Web Users can use folders located on Agent systems as their WebDocs home directory or as a Virtual Folder location.
- To specify an Agent folder location as the Web User home directory, select the Agent folder location from the WebDocs directory field on the Domain where the Web User belongs.
- To specify an Agent folder location as a Web User Virtual Folder, add the Virtual Folder to the Web User's profile on the Folders tab.
Senior Support Analyst
w. GoAnywhere.com | HelpSystems.com