As more and more companies are seeking a secure file transfer solution to meet their data transfer needs, the question still arises: what, exactly, is managed file transfer (MFT)?
What is Managed File Transfer?
At a minimum, a managed file transfer solution is a product that encompasses all aspects of inbound and outbound file transfers that uses industry proven standards with a central, single point of administration.
With a wide variety of products claiming to be a managed file transfer solution, there are some things you may want to ask yourself (and your vendor):
- Does the solution use industry standards protocols for secure data transfers?
- Is the solution centrally administered or are there pc components required for administration?
- Can I be notified in real time of certain events (e.g. errors) if they occur?
- How will this solution affect my customers, vendors and trading partners?
- Can audit reports be generated?
- What type of security controls does the product have in place to allow separation of duties?
- Are there additional modules or add-ons that might need to be purchased?
- If our needs grow beyond our current platform, how does this solution grow with us?
As you research a vendor to handle your managed file transfer requirements, make sure you choose a vendor that is able to not only meet your current needs but the needs of the future.
Need help determining which secure MFT solution is best for you?
Our ultimate buyer's guide to secure MFT will walk you through the purchase process from start to finish.
Get the Guide