We’ve all done it. Held our breath, crossed our fingers, or simply hoped for the best when hitting “send” to electronically share a large file. With a solid managed file transfer (MFT) in place, that critical keystroke doesn’t have to be so tense. With MFT, users can confidently move previously unwieldly files, knowing that delivery to a trading partner, third-party vendor, client, or internal user is guaranteed.
Should I Use Free File Transfer Tools for Big File Transfers?
Whether you’re transferring big files or small ones, popular and free FTP is highly vulnerable to security breaches at all levels of the transfer – from the data at rest to the data in transit. FTP simply does not meet today’s cybersecurity standards, nor do homegrown solutions or scripts. The risk to your organization for privacy and compliance regulations without a higher-level solution’s encryption and other safeguards is just too great.
FTP also lacks the “resume transfer” feature that automatically continues to send files should connectivity be dropped or interrupted mid-send. Secure file transfer is a safer, more trusted method of moving those large files. Even better – managed file transfer software – which takes file transfer to a more secure, efficient and capable level.
The Best Way to Send Big Files Confidently
MFT allows for files of any size to be seamlessly transferred or shared – from the largest, bulkiest of files to those short and sweet, ad hoc files. Rather than counting on unreliable tools such as open-source FTP or homegrown solutions and scripts, organizations that depend on secure, guaranteed, and efficient file transfers turn to managed file transfer solutions such as Those other types of solutions “can” work for small, occasional file transfers, but if your operation needs assurance that big file transfers will be executed without a hitch, it’s time to look at MFT and its robust, large-file capabilities.
GoAnywhere guarantees batch delivery of files and has a Secure Mail module that allows for ad-hoc file transfers of any size (not all MFT solutions offer this). Files are moved to the server GoAnywhere is installed on, then an encrypted email is sent to the recipient, who then clicks on a link and uses a password to open the file.
Related Content: 5 Tips for Large File Transfers
Secure File Transfer Offers More Advantages for Big Files
If transferring big files is a big headache for your administrators or, if your clients, vendors, or internal recipients are growing frustrated with your current large file transfer process, consider whether your file tool offers the following capabilities:
- Unlimited file size transfers: Big files don’t scare an MFT tool.
- Auto-resume: Provides peace of mind when it comes to network connectivity. If the network has a problem mid-file, many MFT solutions pause and resume when it’s resolved – no more “transfer failed” messages.
- Audit logs and reports: Find out before your intended recipient does should a file ever fail to send. Plus, if compliance regulations and privacy laws impact your operation, GoAnywhere MFT easily tracks and reports all file transfer activity.
- Security: A secure file transfer solution encrypts information at all stages – at rest and during transit.
- Easy access: Through a single, user-friendly web browser dashboard, authorized users can transfer big files anywhere, anytime.
- Volume capabilities: Multiple big files? No problem. High visibility and scalability can handle the load.
- Speed: Accelerate large file transfers over UDP data channels.
- Email options: GoAnywhere’s Secure Mail allows employees to easily send confidential messages and files as secure HTTPS links.
Terms to Know: GoAnywhere Glossary
MFT Lightens the Load with Fast File Transfer
An MFT tool can also offer high availability, which provides the maximum time of “live” time you can get in the event of a system or network issue. It should also offer scaling, which helps balance and more evenly distribute those large-file workloads across your network.
Just about any FTP can send files, but MFT sends them securely, efficiently, and streamlines the entire process with added benefits such as customizable workflows that can be set up in minutes, encryption, restricted authorization, functionality on any browser or platform and so much more.
Load up on more MFT details
If you’re investigating your large file transfer options, be sure to download Your Guide to Investing in MFT and find out what other end-users are saying about MFT providers.