When it comes to selecting software that can have a major impact on how your organization conducts business and secures its most valuable data, you can look at the process much like you do when considering a new vehicle.
While a test drive of that shiny new ride can help confirm your expectations for speed and performance, a one-on-one demonstration by a professional highly experienced in that car’s features, benefits, and advantages offers additional insight that you wouldn’t gain on your own. Of course, just like with a car, the best combination for choosing a solution is a thorough walkthrough with a knowledgeable professional and a demo.
Why MFT Software Demonstrations Are Valuable
Scheduling a demo (or watching an on-line version), is a small investment in time that can pay off quickly by helping you determine whether the capabilities and functionality of a solution can meet your specific security, automation, and encryption needs. Demonstrations of solutions you are considering are highly recommended to see how they stack up against each other.
“Demos are a great way to flush out any deal-breaker issues in the product you are evaluating. They can also provide an avenue to bring multiple voices into the fold to answer key questions that can determine the pass/fail status of the product your team or company is evaluating,” said Chris Spargen, Sr. Manager, Solutions Engineering, SFT, Fortra.
The added value of a demo comes from the opportunity you get to have your specific questions answered on wide-ranging areas of importance when it comes to secure file transfers, including those around:
- Security: Does the software solution offer multiple encryption protocols and layers to meet your needs, or those of your trading partners to protect business-critical, sensitive data in motion and at rest?
- Compatibility and integration: Will the software work with your existing infrastructure and other systems, as well as other software you use regularly?
- Environment flexibility: Do you need options such as on-prem, cloud-based file transfers, MFTaaS, or do you need a hybrid environment?
- Performance: Will the software meet your unique needs and add to your productivity, or will it hinder it?
- Speed: How quickly will file transfers be executed? Can the software handle large files, or multiple file transfers simultaneously and efficiently?
- Functionality: Does the product do what you need it to – transfer files securely, efficiently, and in a user-friendly way?
- Customization options: Can you customize the solution and create advanced workflows to tailor it to your unique needs or preferences?
- Compliance: Will the solution meet any compliance requirements around file movements and security you need to adhere to, as well as provide advanced auditing and reporting?
- Scalability: Can the software seamlessly grow with you as your organization grows?
- Ease of use: Is the software intuitive? Find out how long it takes admins to set it up. Solutions that are easy to use are ones that get used versus risky free file transfer solutions.
Prepare for Demo to Maximize Your Time
Before scheduling your demo, take some time to prepare to make the most out of your session. “To maximize your time, come with a few ‘deal-breaker’ questions for the demonstration. If you have some non-negotiables about what you need your file transfer solutions to achieve for your organization, gather your critical items, then lay them out on the table at the onset,” said Spargen. “In addition, if budgeting is a major concern or roadblock, ask for a ballpark quote beforehand, to ensure you’re in the range you need to be before you get wowed by the many features and benefits of a given solution.”
Spargen also recommends digging into the competitive landscape for the software or service you’ll be looking at beforehand, so you can get a more realistic comparison between products you are considering in the same category. Check out third-party review sites of solutions you’re considering such as those found on InfoTech or G2.
Not all demos are equal. Depending on your need for detail or your level of familiarity with a solution, seek out vendors that offer a demo to suit your requirements for time and specificity. Fortra’s GoAnywhere MFT offer demonstrations of 15, 30, and 60 minutes so you have the time and details you need to your unique questions or use case examples answered.
What Questions Should a Demo Answer?
In addition to those deal-breaker questions you might have, be sure to ask what differentiates the solution from its competitors. “The answer to that question can shed light on whether the software can truly meet your organization’s needs,” said Spargen. “You might also ask about the future roadmap for the software, so you get a better understanding of the innovation and support that lies behind the product or service you’re vetting.”
Getting a firm handle on what type or level of support is also essential. MFT Solutions such as GoAnywhere, which offer a suite of customer service options, can be a more reassuring option than off-the-shelf, free options for file transfers.
If the demo is a promising solution for your needs, be sure to ask how you can evaluate the product at your organization and get a firm understanding of how long that evaluation period can last. GoAnywhere offers potential customers a free trial period, granting access to the full product during the evaluation stage.
Who Should Be at an MFT Demo?
Spargen, who has conducted thousands of demos of secure file transfer and data security solutions over the past decade, recommends organizations bring several groups of individuals to a software demonstration, including the lead implementation team, any vocal advocates who have voiced problems with the current solution, as well as key stakeholders who are supportive of the initiative to go to market for the product or service.
Get a Sneak Peek at GoAnywhere with a Self-Guided Demo
In just under 5 minutes, you can take a quick tour of GoAnywhere’s Advanced Workflows and Secure Forms. This interactive tour walks you through a few of the most popular features of GoAnywhere. Then, get the full tour of all that managed file transfer can do for your organization with a demonstration from one of Fortra’s MFT specialists.
Schedule Your GoAnywhere MFT Demo Today
A demonstration of GoAnywhere MFT can empower you to make an informed decision about the solution’s compatibility, usability, and capabilities for your organization to secure and streamline your file transfer process.