Without question, the healthcare industry needs EHR technology to handle sensitive patient information between patients, facilities, providers, and others. But, without a secure MFT solution in place, you won't be able to transfer patient files securely, putting your operations at risk for a data breach and the embarrassment, loss of reputation, and high costs to mitigate that follows.
With any given software arena, various solutions may “look” like they’d deliver similar results. Don’t let those good looks fool you.
Here's What to Look for in an MFT Solution to Integrate with Your EHR
There are many solutions on the market that can improve your electronic health record security but finding the right one for your organization can be a bit overwhelming. Start by narrowing down your possibilities to those solutions with some common, highly regarded features and benefits.
Besides excellent, responsive support and a cost in-line with your organization’s needs and volume, you’ll want to look at several key factors to ensure your selection allows you to spend more of your time delivering service to patients and less time troubleshooting technology. Take the time to compare solution options to determine which of the following features and benefits are critical to your needs:
- Encryption: Encrypting data using FIPS 140-2 compliant AES and Triple DES algorithms offers the best defense against cybersecurity risks. No matter where a file is headed, be sure to encrypt it at rest and while in motion with secure, standard network protocols like SFTP, FTPS, SCP, and HTTPS.
- Secure Collaboration: Your solution should be able to provide easy, secure communication to outside providers, when needed. With a solid solution in place, healthcare staff can easily and confidently share large files ad hoc or in bulk, and quickly access the most recent version of a file from anywhere — all with total security.
- EDI translation: A solid EHR solution should be able to seamlessly translate data files into EDI X12 format and convert EDI X12 documents to other formats.
- Automation: Without automation in place, the risk of human error rises due to the level of attention to detail needed. Time, effort, and frustration can eat up critical time and resources and the danger of non-compliance increases with each manual step your busy healthcare staff needs to take. A managed file transfer (MFT) solution provides for workflows to automate tasks and reduce errors.
- Auditing and Reporting: Does your solution meet GDPR requirements to secure, automate, and audit your transfers? Key GDPR principles require securing the transmission of personal data through encryption, performing integrity checks of successful file transfers to protect accuracy, and demonstrating GDPR compliance with detailed audit trails and reporting of every file transfer.Look for a vendor that automatically records and retains logins, transfer details and errors, then allows you to use audit logs to generate dashboards and management reports for easy review.
On-Demand Webinar: Meeting GDPR with Managed File Transfer
- Security controls: You’ll want to seek out a solution that offers extensive security controls to help manage user accounts, like employees and third-party vendors, and one that can be set up to lock users into specific directories or folder locations with granular permissions to reduce the very real possibility of a healthcare breach from inside your organization.
- Multi-platform Deployment: A robust solution offers a variety of ways to deploy to meet your healthcare organization where it is right now, and adapt to where you might need to be down the road: on-premise, cloud, SaaS, or even as a hybrid solution
- Integrations: Your file transfer solution should be interoperable, so that you can reduce paperwork and costs. If an outside party, such as an insurance provider, requests an important file shared to a folder in Dropbox or you need to update billing information in Salesforce does your current system allow you to do so securely or automatically? An MFT solution, like HelpSystems’ GoAnywhere, with its cloud integrations lets you integrate with popular external cloud and web apps you and your staff use daily.
- Positive User Reviews: Take a look at third-party software review sites before you even get to the demo stage of solutions you’re considering. Find out what real customers are saying about the product, its support, and their overall satisfaction. Some trusted websites for software reviews include Gartner Peer Insights, Capterra and G2.
- Ease of Use: The best software solution is the one that actually gets used. Look for dashboard-style, user-friendly solutions that are easy to implement and require no prior programming experience to help your healthcare team get up and running quickly.
- Solid Record for Supporting Healthcare and Integrating with EHR: Southeastern Health successfully integrated GoAnywhere MFT with Epic gaining efficiencies for their data movement. Learn more about their experiences in this case study.
What Else Do Solid MFT Solutions Have in Common?
Healthcare organizations and providers of all sizes use managed file transfer to encrypt their EHR file sharing as it's transmitted across departments, locations, floors, and to third parties. Using MFT can help reduce the risks that make FTP servers, manual scripts, and legacy PC tools an unhealthy solution.
Ready for a healthier approach to EHR and file sharing? Get an in-depth look at the MFT buying process and what to look for with our Ultimate Buyer’s Guide to Secure Managed File Transfer.
If you’re ready to see how MFT can cure your EHR troubles, we have 15-, 30- and 60-minute demos available.
I’d Like a Demo Appointment!