We know it’s crucial to get a solution up and running quickly during your evaluation period. You want to know if it works, what the benefits are, and how it will impact or improve your business processes, often under a deadline—so the sooner you can dig in, the better.
If you’ve started a trial of our secure file transfer solution, GoAnywhere MFT, the same considerations and concerns apply. You want to be confident that the product you recommend to your team is truly the best one to satisfy your file transfer requirements.
To help you make the most of your MFT evaluation, we’ve pulled together seven trial tips you can use to explore the areas and features of GoAnywhere that makes it unique.
(For detailed help within the product, click the "?" located at the top right of the toolbar.)
1. Explore our Video Tutorials, How-to Guides, and Educational Webinars
Our video tutorials, how-to guides, and educational webinars are useful for getting started with the product immediately after installation.
In these resources, you’ll get a quick overview of GoAnywhere, learn how to set up file transfer services like FTPS and SFTP servers, build projects to transfer and automate your data, and even use our SQL wizard to create SQL SELECT statements.
Our Get the Most Out of GoAnywhere webinar series will help you dig into the features and modules that come with your trial, including Advanced Workflows and cloud integrations.
If you’re short on time, we recommend these tutorials:
- Overview of GoAnywhere MFT
- Getting Started with Projects
- Automating Project Workflows
2. Test and reuse your GoAnywhere resources
GoAnywhere MFT allows you to predefine reusable server connections. These are called resources and will save you time in defining file transfers and other project tasks.
Follow these steps to create and reuse resources in GoAnywhere:
- Under the "Resource" menu, choose a resource.
- Click Add <resource>.
- Give the resource a meaningful name, then enter the communications specifications (Host, Port, UserID, Password, etc).
- Click Test to verify that you can successfully communicate with your target system.
- Once completed, save and close the resource.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you can access this resource no matter how many times you need to connect to a server. Just select it from the drop-down within your project whenever you need to access this target resource. GoAnywhere will automatically use the definitions you gave above to make the connection.
Learn more about resources >
3. Empower your projects with variables
Make your GoAnywhere projects more powerful with variables.
Always look for the "Output Variables" tab throughout the list of tasks available for managing file movement. You can use the output of one task as input into another.
For instance, using the "Create File List" task allows you to create a file list variable that can be used as input into an SFTP Put or Copy File task. This allows you to move individual or multiple files, based on the filters given, with a single task—just by referencing that single file list variable!
For more details, check out our forum topic: Using Variables in a GoAnywhere MFT Project
4. Take advantage of GoAnywhere’s user groups
Here’s why you should take advantage of web user groups in GoAnywhere during your trial:
It’s a good idea to manage your web users and how they access your system. This promotes separation of duties and keeps users from modifying, adding, or deleting critical files from areas of your system they shouldn’t have permissions to.
GoAnywhere’s web user groups allow you to choose features and secure folders that provide access permissions for your web users. Create a web user group with access to a specific feature (like our Secure Mail, GoDrive, or Secure Folders modules). Once you’re done, you can give a user access to that feature any time by adding them to the group you defined.
5. Use triggers to initiate predefined file tasks
In GoAnywhere, you can define triggers to monitor folders for events, such as when a file is uploaded or downloaded by a trading partner. Triggers then allow you to initiate a predefined task like copying a file, deleting a file, or calling a local executable script. For example, by using our "Successful Upload" trigger, you can guarantee that the upload has completed before processing the file.
Here’s how to trigger a file task:
- Navigate to the Workflows Menu and select Triggers.
- Click + Add Trigger.
- Specify a Domain, if needed
- Select Upload Successful from the drop-down.
- Give the Trigger a name ("Inbound File Upload," for example).
- From the "Conditions" tab, add additional conditions needed for selection, like "UserID = <some user>" or "Filename startswith ABC123."
- From the "Actions" tab, select an action, like "Copy File."
- Designate the parameters (From/To, etc).
- Click Save.
Now, whenever a file is received with the conditions you indicated in step 6, GoAnywhere will copy the file to designated target folder for you automatically!
Learn more about triggers >
6. Check if your GoAnywhere install is PCI DSS compliant
GoAnywhere MFT contains a unique module, Advanced Reporting, that allows you to execute a "Security Settings Audit" report for PCI DSS.
This report takes a security snapshot of your GoAnywhere settings and shows you how it stacks up to specific PCI DSS requirements. Upon completion, it’ll tell you where there are issues and give you recommendations on how to handle them.
We’ve recorded a 30-minute webinar on our PCI DSS Security Settings Audit Report to help you get the most out of this feature. You can watch the on-demand video here.
7. Explore our encryption by encrypting files at rest
Whether you're working with PHI, cardholder data, or anything else that could be defined as "sensitive," it’s critical that data is encrypted both in transit and at rest. GoAnywhere MFT gives you the option to designate a folder within your network as an encrypted folder.
Any file placed into an encrypted folder while using GoAnywhere MFT will be automatically protected using AES 256-bit encryption. Access to the file from outside GoAnywhere MFT will result in encrypted (unreadable) data.
Follow these steps to create an encrypted folder:
- Drill through the Encryption menu to the Encrypted Folders item.
- Click on + Add Folder.
- Browse to the desired folder location, local or network. (Note: This folder cannot be inside the GoAnywhere installation folder structure.)
- Leave the Key Generation set to "Random," then click Next
- (Optional) Select the backup checkbox and location for a backup zip file.
- Click Next.
- Click Activate.
This process will encrypt any documents already in the target folder and activate for encryption any new documents being placed into that folder from within GoAnywhere MFT.
Get the Most Out of GoAnywhere MFT
Thank you for evaluating our secure file transfer solution! We hope these trial tips are useful as you spend time looking around the product.
If you have any questions about our solution, feel free to contact our support team or visit our community forums! Whether you ask a question or browse existing topics for knowledge, our forums are a great place to learn about GoAnywhere and get in touch with existing users.
Visit the Community Forum