SFTP (short for SSH File Transfer Protocol) is a network protocol organizations can use to secure and send file transfers over secure shell (SSH).
GoAnywhere MFT gives you the ability to streamline and safeguard traditional SFTP data transmissions, as well as achieve SFTP automation. Whether your data exchange is with trading partners or other enterprise servers, GoAnywhere can help guarantee the delivery of your SFTP transfers by automatically retrying connections, resuming interrupted file transfers, and performing integrity checks on your transfers.
Need an SFTP server? Learn about GoAnywhere's SFTP server.
Using SFTP with Your Platform
GoAnywhere MFT and its inbuilt SFTP client and server can be deployed to cloud, on-premises, or hybrid environments. The software is platform agnostic, and supported platforms include Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and more.
GoAnywhere on Linux is a dependable enterprise-level solution that supports SFTP, FTPS, HTTPS, and AS2. GoAnywhere MFT is a secure Linux SFTP client and server.
Learn more: Managed File Transfer and Secure FTP Server for Linux
Install GoAnywhere MFT on Windows for managed file transfer and SFTP secure server functionality. As a Windows SFTP server, GoAnywhere simplifies, automates, and encrypts file exchanges for improved ease-of-use, compliance, and security.
Learn more: Windows Managed File Transfer and Windows Secure FTP
Using SFTP on Mac is seamless with GoAnywhere. Alongside automating and securing file transfers within your organization and to your trading partners, GoAnywhere MFT offers a file synchronization and collaboration client that integrates to Apple products including iPhones and iPads.
Learn more: Mac OS X — Managed File Transfer and Secure FTP
How GoAnywhere Works with Your Platform
SFTP Features in GoAnywhere MFT
Using GoAnywhere's SFTP client, you can:
- Authenticate your users with passwords, SSH keys, or both. Dual factor authentication is supported.
- Use Get, Mget, Put, Delete, and Move commands to control your files.
- Create, change, and rename your directories at will.
- Transfer multiple files per server connection.
- Retry connections and auto-resume file transfers with user-defined settings.
- Verify your packet integrity using mac algorithms (SHA1 and MD5).
- Suffix and prefix file names with constants, timestamps, or variables.
- Override file names and other properties at execution time using variables.
- Configure your port numbers.
- Receive support for SOCKS and HTTP Proxies.
- Change file permissions (if authorized).
- Preserve transfer timestamps.
- Utilize strong NIST-certified encryption algorithms when in FIPS 140-2 Compliance mode.
- Receive alerts for transfer failures via email, text messages, and system messages.
SFTP server connections can be pre-defined in GoAnywhere MFT's Administrator as reusable resources, which can be selected from simple drop-down menus. SFTP Tasks can be placed within GoAnywhere MFT Projects and executed as part of a cohesive process. For instance, a Project could be defined to retrieve records from a database file, convert the records into an XML file, and then put the XML file onto a SFTP server.
When getting or putting files via SFTP, the files selected can be included and excluded using various filter criteria:
- Wildcards (i.e. "trans*.txt" or "*.xls")
- Regular expressions
- Date and time range
- Size range
- Variables passed to the Project
Audit trails (logs) are generated for all SFTP transmissions in GoAnywhere MFT to meet auditing and compliance requirements. The level of log detail can be controlled by an administrator on a per-Project basis. This detail can be configured to include all SFTP commands issued, SFTP messages, and file names transferred. Log messages can additionally be sent to a Syslog server using UDP or TCP connections.
SSH Key Management
A comprehensive Key Manager is provided in GoAnywhere MFT to allow for the management of SSH Keys. This Key Manager can be used to create SSH public and private keys, export keys and view keys. These SSH Keys can be utilized within GoAnywhere MFT to automate SFTP file transfers.
Standards Support for SFTP
GoAnywhere MFT supports the following standards for SFTP:
Ciphers (Symmetric Encryption Algorithms)
- Triple DES, key length of 192 bit
- Blowfish, key length up to 448 bit
- AES, key length up to 256 bit
Key Exchange Algorithms
SSH Private Keys
- MODP Groups 1, 2, 5 (1536-bit), 14 (2048-bit), 15 (3072-bit), 16 (4096-bit), 17 (6144-bit), and 18 (8192-bit).
SSH Public Keys
- OpenSSH encoded keys
- PEM (privacy enhanced message) encoded keys
Answer Your Top SFTP Questions
Implement GoAnywhere's SFTP Client in Your Organization Today
Ready to give our SFTP client a try? Start a trial of GoAnywhere MFT. Our solution is a cinch to set up, simple to evaluate, and comes with a free, 30-day license, so you can easily determine if it’s the right fit for your organization.